9069: Prescribing Controlled Drugs - Minimizing the Risks
COVID-19 Update: Fees Waived
In an ongoing effort to support you during the COVID-19 pandemic, SVMIC is waiving the $75 fee for all self-study education programs through the end of 2021.
- 2 hours of mandatory controlled substances CME credit for physicians and other prescribers
- 10% Premium Credit for Physician Policyholders
- Certificate of Participation for Non-Physicians
- MOC available for ABA, ABIM, ABO, ABOHNS, ABP, & ABPATH
Maintenance of Certification
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to:
- 2 Lifelong Learning (accredited CME) and Patient Safety MOCA® points in the American Board of Anesthesiology’s (ABA) Maintenance of Certification in AnesthesiologyTM (MOCA®) program; and
- 2 Medical Knowledge (Part II) and/or Practice Assessment (Part IV) and/or Patient Safety MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine's (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program; and
- 2 Lifelong Learning (accredited CME), and/or Self-Assessment (Part II) and/or Improvement in Medical Practice (Part IV) and Patient Safety MOC points in the American Board of Ophthalmology’s (ABO) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program; and
- 2 Self-Assessment (Part II) and/or Improvement in Medical Practice (Part IV) and Patient Safety MOC points in the American Board of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery’s (ABOHNS) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program; and
- 2 Lifelong Learning & Self-Assessment (Part II) MOC points in the American Board of Pediatrics’ (ABP) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program; and
- 2 Lifelong Learning (accredited CME), Self-Assessment Module (SAM; Part II), and Improvement in Medical Practice (Part IV) MOC points in the American Board of Pathology’s (ABPath) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program.
It is the CME activity provider's responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABA, ABIM, ABO, ABOHNS, ABP & ABPath MOC credit.
Michael Baron, MD, MPH, FASAM
Accreditation: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint providership of the University of Tennessee College of Medicine (UTCOM) and SVMIC. The UTCOM is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA Credit Designation: The UTCOM designates this enduring material for a maximum of 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
AAFP: The AAFP has reviewed Prescribing Controlled Drugs: Minimizing the Risks and deemed it acceptable for up to 2.00 Enduring Materials, Self-Study AAFP Prescribed credit. Term of Approval is from 01/01/2021 to 12/31/2021. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
TNA: This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the Tennessee Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
AOA: This program is eligible for two (2) credit hours in Category 2-B of the Continuing Medical Education Program of the American Osteopathic Association. Physicians will need to submit a letter of completion from the University of Tennessee directly to the AOA to receive CME credits.
Continuing Education for Non-Physicians: The UTCOM will issue Certificates of Participation to non-physicians for participating in this activity and designates it for CEUs using the national standard that 1 hour of educational instruction is awarded .1 CEU.
This activity was reviewed on March 25, 2020. This activity was released on April 1, 2020 and will expire on December 31, 2021. SVMIC will not process any completions after December 31, 2021.
No commercial support was received for this activity. No speakers plan to discuss off-label use. No planners or speakers have relevant financial relationships to disclose.
*** Course descriptions can be found by clicking on the course titles above.
There are two versions of this course, and you may only complete one of them. If you are licensed in Tennessee, you MUST complete the Tennessee course to qualify for prescribing credit. If you are not licensed in Tennessee, you may select either course. To enroll, check the box beside the option you need, click "Enroll" and then click on the course title to begin.